Thursday, March 1, 2012

Writing Style...What is it?

I guess this is what I am trying to figure out at the moment honestly.  I am now almost 60,000 words into my first project and I have found that my style is different now at the 60,000 word mark than it was back at the beginning.  I knew this would happen but I am surprised at the vast difference in writing style as I continue. 

Something else that has surprised me is how much I am noticing other people's writing styles now that I have begun writing myself.  It's interesting to see how other's present their stories and develop them over time.  Is each character introduced and developed before the story is told or does the story itself develop the character?  I find myself doing both at time, but I am enjoying the latter more.

Well, there is something that I have come to understand and appreciate the more I write and that is the understanding of the need for edits, rewrites, revisions and outright deletions.  As painful as it sounds, and it is painful, it must happen.

My quote of the day: "Damn back story, why must you tempt me so!?"

No comments:

Post a Comment